Design: Core Storm
Core Storm is and interactive, Augmented Reality (AR) puzzle/strategy game to be used for testing and training of Executive Function Modules. Developed in Unity 3D for use with the Magic Leap One headset.
The player begins their journey as a fresh engineer aboard the star-ship vessel the S.S. Vibrato, with an important duty: Manage the ship’s core and protect it from Flares (core storms) that flare up.
Executive Functions to be Addressed:
Core Storm is designed to test and increase the receptiveness to these traditional EF Modules:
- Working Memory: Holding on to multiple pieces of information in order to solve a problem or carry out a task
- Attention to Detail: The ability to achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task
- Long & Short-term Memory: Memory defined by either duration or capacity. Link
- Planning: The ability to create steps to reach a goal and to make decisions about what to focus on
- Time Management: The ability to use one's time effectively or productively
- Soft Skills: personal attributes that enable someone to interact effectively and harmoniously with other people
Player Objectives Supported by EF
Core Storm is designed to incorporate the aforementioned EF modules in a single AR immersive experience utilizing the Magic Leap One (ML) headset. The game’s systems are directly designed to address the weaknesses of traditional, 2D EF game-play modules. These are addressed by the following:
GAME PLAY minute
Mechanics, dynamics, and aesthetics | mda
The following sections outline the design framework of Core Storm.
mechanics | Player Actions
Core Storm’s mechanics are the available actions the player makes:
- Defend the S.S. Vibratto’s core
- Position shields
- Observe threats
- Manage execution
Dynamics | Systems that give meaning to
Core Storm’s Dynamics are the systems that give the player’s action meaning:
- The Core’s health: Health
- Flares (Core Storms): Color/texture, spawn rate, total lifespan, behavioral state changes, projectiles
Behavioral States Changes
- Engineering Ranks: sessions, completion, statistics, success, failure
Aesthetics | Context
Core Storm’s aesthetic provides artistic context to the design’s look, mood, and story:
- Look: 3D, Stylistic, Sci-fi props.
- Mood: Problem solving, high energy, precision thinking, rewarding
- Story: Raise through the engineering ranks by protecting the ship’s core from Flares.